Monday, December 23, 2013

DIY Coasters Tutorial

As part of my friends Christmas present I decided to make some Beer Coasters with some of the logo's from her favorite beers.  So today I'll be giving you the step by step tutorial for how I did it!  I'm not the most crafty person but I must say these were so easy and turned out really good! Even my parents were impressed at how they looked!

DIY Coasters Tutorial

What you'll need:

Cardboard six packs or whatever design you want to put on your coasters
White tiles (mine were 16 cents from the hardware store)
Box Cutter or Scissors
Modge Podge
Sponge Brush
Felt

 So first things first you want to take the cardboard from the six pack's and cut them into squares the size of the tiles.  I used a box cutter to get nice straight lines, but scissors would work too.  I also cut squares in the felt too.  The felt is going to go on the bottom of the tiles to keep them from scratching whatever surface they are on. 


Next I put a thin layer of Modge Podge on the back of the cardboard squares and stuck them onto the front of the tiles.  The corners of the cardboard kept rising up so I put some heavy books on top of the coasters while the Modge Podge dried.  I let it dry for 15-20 minutes.  After they were all dry, they looked like this.  Pretty good right?


Next I put a thin layer of Modge Podge on the back of the tiles and then placed the felt squares on the back of the tiles.  I used the books again to keep the felt from lifting up.  I waited another 15-20 minutes for this to dry.

Next I started to Modge Podge the surface of the coasters.  I put a thin layer of Modge Podge on the top of each of the coasters.  I applied 5 coats to the tops of the coasters waiting 15-20 minutes between each coat to allow the previous coat to dry.




Afterwards you need to leave them alone for 24 hours for the Modge Podge to completely dry. You could possibly add a clear acrylic seal or a Hi-gloss lacquer to top it off to give it some extra shine and protection, however that is optional.  Here is how mine turned out! I apologize in advance for the glare from the lights.  I need to work on my picture taking!




I must say I was thoroughly impressed with how well they came out! I can't wait to give them to my friend from Christmas! How do you think they turned out?

What creative gift ideas do you have this year?


3 comments:

  1. Saw these on Pinterest and have been wanting to make them so badly! Love the way yours turned out!
    -Alyssa

    www.pinchoflyss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...